Thursday 12 April 2012

Brands hatch round 1 2012!!

Well, what a start to the first round of the MCE British Superbike Championship season last weekend was, sat here typing this now I’m still struggling to get over all the shenanigans that went on, I’ve been pretty excited about getting to Brands since our test the other week up at Knockhill, I felt far more comfortable on the bike and couldn’t wait to get back on track to see how the new feeling helped as we had tested there just recently too it would almost be like a true back to back test. Seeing the BSB paddock all set up again for the first time every season is something pretty cool, it seems to just grow a little every year with more and more teams splashing out on all the hospitality units etc, I have to admit it’s a cool place to be a part of, trouble is though seeing it all gets you even more revved up to get out riding and being at the track a day or so before things get underway every second feels like an hour!!!! ;-)

We had a steady start to the weekend, we worked only on the hard rear race tyre in the first session as the track temperature was so cold in the morning, it’s always nice doing that because no matter where you end up position and lap time wise you know you have something in the bag when you eventually fire in the slightly softer version so to end up 3rd in the first session but on the hard tyre boded well.. We did a little bit more work in the 2nd session but this time on the softer tyre and ended up fastest in the final test on Good Friday which felt good because like I said before it isn’t until we all get out on circuit together after pre-season testing that you know where everyone stacks up without all the bull****, as it turned out my lap time in the practice session was the fastest overall for the whole weekend but anyone that rocked up at Brands for qualifying or the races will know exactly why, things weather wise definitely took a turn for the worse!!


When the sun was shinning!!!!

Throughout free practice etc we just worked through some changes which meant we were able to confirm a few things from a chassis setting point of view but we still knew we had some work to before the races, this weekend was going to be all about preserving tyres whilst riding fast and it seemed we had things kind of covered with both tyre options as I was able to lap very consistently over more than race distance on both which was good news!!!
By the time we got around to qualifying we knew we were getting closer, we had done some long runs, in fact pretty much full race duration runs on the race tyres
and my times were very competitive even right at the end, I actually went out and took the tyres way over race distance at the end of one of the sessions for our information and because there is nothing quite like sliding a 200bhp Superbike for a bit of badness on a nice sunny afternoon!

Things were all shaping up quite nicely but just before qualifying the weather turned and qualifying was held in real difficult conditions, not wet but not dry either, the type of conditions you dread as a rider, but you know it was the same for everyone so we had to just get on with it, nothing like trying to qualify for the first race of the year having never ridden your bike in anything other than bone dry conditions ;-) I ended up finally qualifying third so on the front row which is always important at Brands hatch, I tried to push harder because a debut pole position for the Rapid Solicitors team would’ve been great but it wasn’t to be,not for a lack of trying though as the following lap I pushed too hard into turn 1 and things got a bit too sidewaysso I went straight on into the gravel. Not sure if it was the motocross chat from the boys in the garage but I managed to keep her upright through the gravel and out the other side. I did have another go but that was it game over but third on the grid was a good place to start, especially on the Indy circuit.

Raceday came and typical UK weather hit us at Brands Hatch. We hadn’t ridden in full wet conditions so it was something of a first date for us again, I tried to get a bit of a feeling for the bike without driving myself too crazy as the last thing you need is to go down the road in morning warm up so I rode pretty within myself and whilst the bike felt far from terrible it was clear we needed to make a few more changes to it if the race was to be fully wet, that said though we ended the session P2 so it was far from disaster…

Kel Brook the boxer came along to offer some support, top guy!!!

As the lights went out to start the first race of the year I got a great start and lead the first lap but in a stupid way I wanted someone to pass me so I could see someone else as a gauge, the conditions were horrible and I definitely didn’t want to be the one finding the limit,

Leading the way...not for long!!!

I had a few moments out there but the points were important and with Thruxton just a few days away I didn’t want to do a stupid move that could have jeopardized the next round as I know that the conditions can catch you out when it is like that, we saw that from Tommy Hill and Michael Laverty. I have to admit I absolutely hated the first race, not because I had crap result but because the conditions were so slippery you might as well have ridden with one arm tied behind your back just to make it a little more difficult, I couldn’t ride nowhere near how I know I’m capable and finishing 7th is just basically pants!!!

I had a similar kind of smile but one of relief when race 2 got cancelled!!

I was gutted that we didn’t get a second race, but I went out upon request of the organizers and did some laps but the conditions just weren’t right at all, a few mechanical problems had dropped fluid on the already wet track and turned the place into an ice rink, if we’d raced it would have been a case of riding so reservedly that we’d probably all end up falling down because our tyres would’ve cooled down too much!!!!, One consolation is that we only have to wait a few days until Thruxton now when we can get back out on track and amongst it to show we mean business.

Thruxton up next is one of the fastest circuits on the calendar and we will definitely be doing all we can to top the podium there, no traction control on some parts of the track there is going to make for some proper sideways action that’s for sure!!

I’d just like to say a massive thank you to all my Rapid Solicitors team for all their hard work over the weekend and to all the great fans of BSB who probably froze more than us riders stood out there cheering us on all day, sorry for the pants result and sorry for the cancellation, hopefully we can make it up to you at another race real soon, until then it’s onwards and upwards, well geographically south westwards for me to Thruxton, hope to see you there, take it easy, Shakey #67

No comments:

Post a Comment