Thursday 13 May 2010

Travel woes...

Well, we managed to actually get here to South Africa which in itself was a bit of a mission, I woke up Tuesday morning and checked the internet only to see that our flight to Madrid had been cancelled, great, don’t get me wrong I understand fully how fortunate I am to get to travel the world and see lots of different places but when things seem to go wrong they go properly wrong for us!!!

After some panic phone calls to my travel agent we managed to get our flight brought forward to the flight before however this didn’t really inspire me with confidence as it was our later flight from to Madrid that was cancelled and I figured that if our later flight was cancelled how likely were we to get our later still connection to Johannesburg……

As it turned out when we got to Heathrow the people on the desk had no idea whatsoever whether or not our flight to South Africa would go, this posed a problem for me, basically my thinking was this, if I’m stranded in the Uk I can go back to mums, if I’m stranded in Madrid what on earth do I do there?

Fortunately everything panned out ok ish in the end, we sat in Madrid airport for about 6 hours with nobody able to tell us whether or not we’d be flying but finally about 20 odd minutes late they started boarding our plane, by this point we were pretty tired and just wanted to get on the plane and get off to sleep. I had to laugh once sat on board though, sat across the isle from us was a guy so fat he couldn’t get his belt on, the temperature on the plane felt about 500 degrees so matey was sweating and humming like a skunk but to actually make matters worse the guy in front of him pulled his shoes off and the smell was so crude I’ve never smelt anything like it, I told Petra, look darling, lets look on the Brightside, if we struggle to get off to sleep just get down on your hands and knees, take a deep breath of old stinky feet and we’ll be out cold for hours!!!!!! I won’t even begin to tell you how badly I wished I’d booked us business class, I even offered to pay on board but Iberia refused despite the fact business class was practically empty, I don’t rate that airline at all, this was and hopefully will be the first and last time we ever fly with Iberia….

The new Tomtom I brought just before Monza managed to redeem itself here in South Africa, when I used it to get from Bergamo airport to Monza it did indeed get us to the national park that the circuit is inside but it took us to some mud track path that had a gate at the top that was locked so we couldn’t actually get in but this time it got us straight from Johannesburg airport direct to the hotel so I’m happy with it now!!

I slept mega last night, i was so tired that we went to bed around 10pm and never woke until 8am then about 8-30 i fell asleep again until about 11, i can't remember the last time we had the chance to do that!!!

I’ve been along to the circuit today for a look around and it’s such a cool setting, little or should I say big African looking huts and palm trees everywhere, it’s real nice, it’s definitely not improved at all from last year track surface wise, it’s like a motocross track on tarmac but I guess that’s partly the fun of the place, I’m really looking forward to getting out riding tomorrow, I know we’ve got a photo shoot for a big American magazine tomorrow morning ahead of the Miller round so we’ll see what that entails, other than that it’s all good, I’ll keep you all posted on how things go, take it easy, Shakey #67

No comments:

Post a Comment